Frequently Asked Questions
My hotel is not in Flagstaff. Can we still take a tour with you?
Yes! However please note that we pickup and drop-off in Flagstaff exclusively! If you are staying outside of Flagstaff or at the Twin Arrows Navajo Casino you can meet us at our office the morning of your tour located at 400 S. Malpais Ln. Flagstaff, AZ 86001.
How should I prepare for my trip to Flagstaff?
Plan to dress in layers! Depending on the season Flagstaff can be near freezing at night but sunny and comfortable weather by lunchtime. Also make sure to drink a lot of water, more water than you think you need to drink. Due to Flagstaff’s high elevation it is easy to become dehydrated or feel the effects of minor altitude sickness. Take your time during strenuous activity.
What is the weather like in Flagstaff?
The weather in Flagstaff is variable. During the summer the highs are usually in the 80s with nighttime lows in the 60’s. Starting in July and going until September, Flagstaff gets monsoonal rains that can last anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours. In the winter Flagstaff often gets snow and temperatures can drop below freezing during the day and at night.
What else is there to do in Flagstaff?
Flagstaff has no shortage of places to go and things to do. The region is a patchwork of trails, parks, monuments, historical sights, home to a vibrant Downtown and more. There’s so much to do that we wrote a blog post about it. If you’re staying in Flagstaff for multiple days we also offer an affordable day tour to Sedona ($89/person).
Some points of interest include:
- Lowell Observatory
- Walnut Creek Canyon
- Buffalo Park
- Downtown Flagstaff
- Harkin’s Movie Theater and Flagstaff Mall
What is Flagstaff's elevation?
Flagstaff is roughly 7,000 ft. above sea level.
What is the Grand Canyon's elevation?
- The South Rim of Grand Canyon is roughly 6,800-7,400 feet above sea level, depending on where you are.
- The North Rim of Grand Canyon is about 8,200 feet above sea level on average.
- The Bottom of the Grand Canyon (Colorado River) is approximately 2,200 feet above sea level.
How do I get from Twin Arrows Navajo Casino to the Grand Canyon Adventures Office?
While we do not pick up at the Twin Arrows Navajo Casino it is within driving range and about 30 minutes from our office.
DIRECTIONS TO 400 S Malpais Ln. Flagstaff, AZ 86001
from Twin Arrows, 22181 Resort Blvd, Flagstaff, AZ 86004
to 400 S Malpais Ln, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
1) Turn right onto Resort Blvd
2) Turn right onto Twin Arrows Rd
3) Turn right to merge onto I-40 W toward Flagstaff
4) Follow I-40 W to E Butler Ave in Flagstaff. Take exit 198 from I-40 W
19 min (21.0 mi)
5) Turn right onto E Butler Ave
6) Use the left 2 lanes at the large intersection to turn LEFT to stay on E Butler Ave
7) Follow E Butler. Continue STRAIGHT through next intersections onto W Clay Ave
8) Turn left onto S Malpais Ln
Destination will be on the left. Lot between Grand Canyon Adventures and Jack-in-the-Box.
FINAL DESTINATION: 400 S Malpais Ln. Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Where is Flagstaff? How far is it from where I'm staying?
Flagstaff, “the gateway to the Grand Canyon,” is located in the center of northern Arizona. Here are some approximate distances and travel times by car.
- Phoenix – 147 miles or 2.25 hours
- Sedona – 29.4 miles or about 0.8 hours
- Page – 129 miles or 2.2 hours
- Grand Canyon South Rim – 82 miles or 1.5 hours
- Tusayan – 72 miles or 1.25 hours
- Las Vegas – 250 miles or 3.6 hours
- The Moon – 238,900 miles or 3413 hours.
Does your Grand Canyon Tour include the Skywalk?
How should I dress for my tour?
October – March: Dress in layers and winter clothes. Mornings and evenings are cold and wind chill can be significant. Daytime highs in March are 55 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit so dress in layers you can change according to the conditions.
April – September: Comfortable shorts, breathable tops, sunscreen hats and sunglasses. Bring a hooded article in case of early morning chilly winds or rain. Umbrellas and extra ponchos are provided.
Do you do trips down to the Colorado River?
No. We specialize in small-group day tours and do not operate any river or rafting tours. However there are numerous outfits in Flagstaff that operate river tours. Start your search here with the National Park Service’s directory.
How do I get to Flagstaff from Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix?
How to get to Flagstaff from Phoenix (Sky harbor Airport)
1) Get on I-10 W
2) Take exit 143A-143B to merge onto I-17 N
3) Stay on I-17 for 145 mi
4) Take exit 340B to Merge onto Milton Road in Flagstaff
5) Continue STRAIGHT on Milton
6) Turn left onto S Malpais Ln. (The corner with Jack-in-the-Box)
7) Parking for tour available in the lot between Jack-in-the-BoxTurn and our office at 400 S. Malpais Ln.
How do I drive to Grand Canyon Adventures from Sedona?
How to get to Grand Canon Adventures from Sedona
1) Head north on state route 89A
2) Continue on 89A for about 40 min
3) At traffic circle take 2nd exit and stay on John Wesley Powell Blvd
4) Turn left to merge onto I-17 N toward Flagstaff
5) Merge onto Milton Rd
6) Stay on Milton
7) Turn left onto S. Malpais Ln. It’s between a Dairy Queen and Jack-in-the-Box.
8) Our lot is between Jack-in-the-Box and our office at 400 S. Malpais Ln.
How do I get from Williams to Grand Canyon Adventures in Flagstaff?
Driving directions from Williams to Grand Canyon Adventures in Flagstaff:
1) Get on I-40 E
2) Follow I-40 E for 24 min
3) Take exit 191
4) Follow Historic Route 66 AKA West Route 66
5) Turn left onto S. Milton.
6) Take next left onto S. Malpais Ln. (corner with Jack-in-the-Box)
7) Parking available in the lot between Jack-in-the-Box and our office.
How far is the hike from the South Rim to the bottom of the Canyon?
The hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon via the Bright Angel trail is approximately 8 miles. The way down is much easier than way back up due to the steepness of the Canyon. Our hiking tours are private and your party can decide which trail to hike and how far you would like to go.
What is the name of the mountains in Flagstaff?
The iconic mountains that tower over Flagstaff are called the San Francisco Peaks. The highest peak, Mt. Humphreys, is about 13,000 ft. above sea level.
Do your private hiking tours go down to the bottom of the canyon?
Do I need a guide to hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
No. None of our hikes go all the way to river. We also do not offer multi-day hikes.
Can I hike to the bottom and back in a day?
What is the temperature in the Grand Canyon?
Do you have a Grand Canyon Sunset Tour?
How far in advance do I need to book my tour?
Can I pay in cash the day of my tour?
We want to stay in Grand Canyon Village/Tusayan after our tour. Can you drop us off when the tour is over?
I’m staying at the Grand Canyon but I don’t have a car. How can I travel around the national park?
Grand Canyon National Park has an excellent bus system that will take to all major locations along the South Rim. Walking will also get you to where ever you need to go. The national park website will have all the information for the bus system.